Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Unmeasurable

I'm on holidays. One thing to be happy about. But then again, the stillness of this night, with comforting wind and a little less starry sky than when I was in my other home, as I see my cat lying down beside me, purring, perhaps enjoying his sleep, I couldn't find an answer to this one simple question.

How to measure attitude? Both quantitatively and qualitatively.

I have planned out what I'm going to do for the next 4 years. I nearly couldn't believe it myself, but I have written all those plans in my notebook.  As I gently turn to every page, what matter most then is not whether all this plans will come true or not as there is a possibility that I could only achieve half of them. Maybe more and maybe less. Concern has become whether or not I have the right attitude in pursuing them.

When you're chasing something, or perhaps desire change, the ongoing step is always to measure and compare. Statistically or with numbers. There is a way to measure how much you've achieved. Attitude on the other hand is subjective. To capture subjectivity you have at hand, definitely you need some kind of ways or an idea on how actually you can ascertain the 'size' of your behaviour towards this goal of yours.

This is what has been bothering me lately.

Saying 'be positive' may not be the right way all the time. If only you can convert how much efforts you have put in into numbers, things might have been easier.

As the old saying says, life is about the journey, not the destination. Perhaps, answer will reveal itself when you've set your foot on that journey. Similarly, when you want to find your purpose and virtue.

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming

Said Dory.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...