Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Resolution?

More than meet the eyes. I couldn't possibly say I have completed all my resolutions for 2012. But out of making a new year resolution for 2013, we might forget rather an important idea.

The end in mind could only be achieved when we have thought of the process.

The reason why most of us failed to accomplish our new year resolution, almost every year, is in fact, we forget to list out what we should do to achieve them. Instead of brainstorming and dig out our brain a little bit, we are too focused on the end result rather than providing an insightful idea on how to achieve them. You get my point right?

I could relate this to myself. At the end of March, usually, I will forget what my new year resolution is. Then, I will go with the flow with thought in mind, whatever will be will be. Most of us will lose the exciting feeling and the thrill of realizing our dreams. When we don't have further guidance on what to do, we lose interest so easily. No more adrenaline rush and we reach a bottom line. Meh, I'll just do whatever I used to do.

And for the sake of gaining whatever we wish at the end of year, most of our new year resolution are categorized in a long term achievement. We dove into a very false concept. New year resolution is an intermediate term goals. What you want to gain in a year time ?

When people seek a different kind of goal for a different kind of time concept, no wonder we're just sitting around for the rest of the year. Because long term goals are meant to be achieved in years of time, not in 12 months. Thus, you keep postponing on what you want to do, procrastinate and you've sown nothing in the very beginning.

Getting married? Long term (well for me right now). Getting a job with more than RM 3000 salary? Long term ( I've two more years till I graduate). Stepping out of our comfort zone is the first thing to do, try to observe objectively on our new year resolution. Be real, be specific and of course achievable within our capabilities and that time frame. For example, I want to save RM1000 in my bank account by the end of the year.

Once you have sorted this out, things are much easier to understand. Confusion and lack of enthusiasm can be avoided. Hence, at the end of the year you're satisfied with what you have and with all those little efforts everyday, you appreciate yourself more than the previous year where you might have achieved nothing. Change also can be seen. In action, and in your determination.

Things I want to do this year:

  • Read more books. Should be at least more that what I've read in 2012. Magazines don't count.
  • Travel to places I've never been to. At least, one place. With less holidays we get, I think I could afford to go to one place.
  • Save RM 2000 by the end of the year ( RM 1000 more )
  • Keep my CGPA at 3.50 and above. I think I need to put more effort in studying. (Susah jugak nak maintain 3.50 ni)
  • Pray on time. I've manage to do so as of now. Be istiqomah !

Well, the list might go on and on. Methodology on this, is to check from time to time where you stand vis-a-vis prior to your goals. In my humble opinion, renewing and improving yourself to be a better person should not be included in your new year resolution because that's supposed to be your objective everyday. As a muslim and a human being who desire goodness, that should be a priority. Hence, it doesn't really count.

Back to reality, I'll have my first paper in two days. So, this is good bye !

p/s : Though it's already more than a week after the first day of the year, still I think this topic is relevant enough to point it out. All the best to everyone and may 2013 offers you a lot more meaningful moments than the previous years.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...